The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association salutes 22 schools that met the criteria to be named recipients of the Award of Excellence in 2017-18.
The award recognizes member schools for their efforts and achievements in the areas of sportsmanship, ethics, integrity, leadership and character. The recipients of the Award of Excellence, presented to high schools that met each of the award’s criteria, are:
The Prairie School
Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln
Five of the 22 schools receiving the honor are repeat recipients. Baraboo, Beaver Dam, Hudson, Racine Horlick, Stoughton and Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln each received the recognition in the award’s first year in 2016-17.
Recipients will be presented the Award of Excellence and certificate at the fall Area Meetings and will be recognized for the achievement on the WIAA website, in the WIAA Bulletin and at the Annual Meeting.
The criteria applied toward the Award of Excellence include:
* Athletic director conducted regular occurring meetings with a Captain’s Club/Team Leadership Council/Etc.–sportsmanship, ethics and/or integrity is on the agenda and is discussed
* Athletic director conducted regular occurring meetings with coaches - sportsmanship, ethics and/or integrity is a topic that is on the agenda and is discussed
* Athletic director conducted at least one informational meeting with student-athletes and their parents–sportsmanship, ethics and/or integrity is a topic that is on the agenda and is discussed
* Athletic director attended conference meetings–sportsmanship, ethics and/or integrity is a topic that is on the agenda and is discussed
* Coaches and student-athletes attended a sportsmanship summit/leadership conference/etc.
* There was school representation at one of the seven WIAA Fall Area Meetings
* There was school representation at WIAA Annual Meeting in April
* Athletic Director made the student body aware of sportsmanship initiatives through school assemblies, announcements, posters, etc.
* Three or more athletic teams gave back to their school or community through volunteerism
* Athletic director has taken the free NFHS Sportsmanship course
* Three or more head coaches have taken the free NFHS Sportsmanship course
* Athletic program had no coach ejections at any level
* Athletic program had no coach or player assault of an official at any level
* Athletic director nominated/submitted a boy and/or a girl for WIAA Scholar Athlete recognition (either for local or state level recognition)