Baseball starts Sunday but the Brewers season doesn't start until Monday afternoon (BTW you can hear that game on 1310 WIBA at 12:35pm to get your Bob Uecker fix).
This years Brewer team is an interesting mix of talented but youthful hitters and not as talented/ slightly less youthful pitchers.
Adding to what I would call 'the excitement' is the idea that there are a lot of wildcards on the roster. What the heck should we expect from Eric Thames, a guy who put up video game numbers in Korea but originally flamed out in the states. Is Travis Shaw capable of being the poor man's Casey McGehee? I also often wonder how big of a step Orlando Arcia can take in year two.
Will Jonathan Villar continue his fantastic play after last season's breakout campaign?
Will Keon Broxton have a breakout year, be able to limit strikeouts enough, and earn serious playing time?
Can Domingo Santana bounce back after an injury-stifled 2016.
When is Lewis Brinson going to get called up?
Is Ryan Braun going to get traded?
The answer to those questions (in my opinion only) are as follows:
- Stability at first base, solid pop but not crazy, less K's then Chris Carter but less HR's.
- Hope so.
- He was such a highly touted prospect that he can't possibly be a .200 hitter long term for his career.
- I think Villar will regress slightly but can still be very productive.
- I drafted Broxton in fanatasy baseball so he better break out! 40 STOLEN BASES HERE WE COME!
- Sadly I think Domingo Santana will just become a serviceable 4th outfielder.
- This may relate to the next question.
- I would assume so, and if it's earlier than later I believe Brinson will be the replacement.
And that's just the hitters. To hear a much more in-depth discussion about the Brewers check out the podcast livestream below with Mike Pilch. A heads up we recorded Friday April 2nd so now you know that.
Because The FinkelCast prides itself in looseness we did discuss a few other topics besides Brewers, namely Joe Mixon's visit with the Packers. If you wan't to skip ahead to just Brewers stuff go to the 11:09 mark.